Blackbooks

JUNO

Reaction score
I decided to do my first blackbookology entry, however I'm not sure on the vantage point inside the letter 'Q'. It seems off and it bothers me. When it comes to round letters(ex: C,O,G) and vantage points what is the proper way of doing it.20240216_153705.jpg

Phazr

Reaction score
I decided to do my first blackbookology entry, however I'm not sure on the vantage point inside the letter 'Q'. It seems off and it bothers me. When it comes to round letters(ex: C,O,G) and vantage points what is the proper way of doing it.
I feel like it looks pretty good honestly, round letters like that are definitely tricky for vantage point 3D. Looks pretty solid to me though.

Reactions: JUNO

PASC

Staff member
Reaction score
I decided to do my first blackbookology entry, however I'm not sure on the vantage point inside the letter 'Q'. It seems off and it bothers me. When it comes to round letters(ex: C,O,G) and vantage points what is the proper way of doing it.

I feel like you should also add the 3D to the upper part of the Q to stay consistent.

A trick you can use is to take tracing paper, trace over the image and then move it to where you want to focus the perspective. That's where your 3D should be. If you are going for a centered/fixed point, move the trace to one side, make marks, then move it to the next side.

JUNO

Reaction score
I feel like you should also add the 3D to the upper part of the Q to stay consistent.

A trick you can use is to take tracing paper, trace over the image and then move it to where you want to focus the perspective. That's where your 3D should be. If you are going for a centered/fixed point, move the trace to one side, make marks, then move it to the next side.
Thank you for the tip. Circling back to the upper part of the Q, my vantage point in at the bottom tip of the letter 'i' I forgot to mention it previously, so in that case I believe that the 3D wouldn't be there on the upper part of Q because its parallel. Correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise I'll go back and check my mistake.

Phazr

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that I don't like K's as much as I though I would. Lol I need to sit down and actually sketch one of these days. Just a couple quick pen concepts trying out the word ZERK. 3rd one has promise minus the K I fucked up lol20240219_145225.jpg

Phazr

Reaction score
Not super happy with the R, but I like the one I did on the sticky pad. Just didn't have any eraser left20240220_125232.jpg

PASC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that I don't like K's as much as I though I would. Lol I need to sit down and actually sketch one of these days. Just a couple quick pen concepts trying out the word ZERK. 3rd one has promise minus the K I fucked up lol
Make the K's more like your handstyle and I think you will see an improvement.

As always, start with running block letters over and over to get a feel for the bars that make up the letter. Then start adding style.

Sir Mildred Pierce

Reaction score
This is my favorite black book toy, it's LEGO, so you know it's top quality. This fun little toy black book has a ghost and a snake on it, but you can't see the snake in the picture. The black book measures 2 x 3:
lego-black-book-2-x-3-with-ghost-red-snake-25-685780-38.jpg

Reactions: Sprungjitsu

SATIRE

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.bangyard.com
That's some quality stuff!

One thing I always try to do is keep all my letters the same size. And I'm big into symmetry. So for that one, I would shrink the R just a little, bump it up and arch that one extension out to mirror the extension the back of your P.

Like so:

IMG_5954.jpeg

Phazr

Reaction score
That's some quality stuff!

One thing I always try to do is keep all my letters the same size. And I'm big into symmetry. So for that one, I would shrink the R just a little, bump it up and arch that one extension out to mirror the extension the back of your P.

Like so:

View attachment 377
Ooh yeah I like that, I have a bad habit of making uneven letters if I don't draw a guide line lol